Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Bunny's grocery list

Having a rabbit as a companion pet can be good for your waistline and for your heart. Our family no longer buys iceberg lettuce since it is not good food for bunnies (who get their fair share and all the soon to go brown leftovers!). We eat the much healthier romaine, leaf lettuce, endive, escarole, butter lettuce, kale and spinach instead (I buy frisee just for Sam who loves it so much that its fun to watch her eat it!).
I have an herb garden that the bunnies help to fertilize and I grow some of the lettuces and greens myself as well as fresh and delicious herbs such as cilantro, parsley, basil, mint, and lemon balm. These are all great for adding a little gourmet into your cooking and the mint makes excellent tea! We were never this healthy in our eating choices before the bunnies. I eat healthier snacks--Frodo and I like to share a pear and I even find myself munching on the carrots that I use to treat the buns during clicker training.

So here's the list of "Healthy Foods for the Healthy Rabbit" taken from http://www.makeminechocolate.org/goodfoods.php
Print this out and take it with you when you go shopping!

Greens and Vegetables
Mustard greens
Turnip greens
Collard greens
Bok choy
Spinach
Radish tops
Carrots (limited quantity)
Carrot tops
Dandelion
Salad Savoy
Kale
Swiss chard
Lettuce --not iceberg!
Romaine
Endive
Escarole
Green leaf

Herbs
Cilantro
Parsley
Basil
Dill
Mint
Lemon balm

Fruits
Apple
Pear
Banana
Orange
Cantalope
Watermelon
Tomato
Strawberry
Blueberry

Hay
Timothy
Orchard
Brome
Oat
Bermuda grass

3 Comments:

Blogger Bunnies and Kimberly said...

We just tried Baby Bok Choy for the first time... what else would be a good addition to our gormet dinners b/c mom says we should only try one new thing at a time!

9:12 PM  
Blogger LauraHinNJ said...

Funny, I've been thinking of doing a similar blog post. Cute bunnies!

7:32 PM  
Blogger Simone said...

Never tried bermuda grass. Do you like it? Hrmph. Feels like I'm missin' out on something.

10:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home